Wednesday, September 26, 2007

good story from back in the day

Back in the good ol' college dorm days, our dorm neighbor, Krissy Carr, had a plethora of CDs. Some of her CDs were of the sappy love song variety... right up my alley. So, being that this was back in the day- the day of mixed tapes and the like, I made a mixed tape from her CDs. Bunch of sappy sappy crap that I happened to LOVE. One of the songs was "Why Does It Hurt So Bad" by Whitney Houston. Krissy happened to have a live version of the song on a CD single. Anyway, so this mixed tape gets played and played. Mostly because I loved all the songs and Coury loved "That's What Love Can Do" by some singer I don't remember so we would play this tape all the time. Well, eventually the tape bit the dust or the tape deck in my car finally stopped wanting to play lame crap, REGARDLESS, the tape was ruined. We were out of college and I had lost touch with Krissy.
Years later, I was at work (answering the phones at the mental health place) and I got an itch to hear that Whitney Houston song. The live version. So, I started searching the internet to see if there were copies of this CD anywhere. (You know, work stuff). I found someone that had a copy of the live version... in the United Kingdom. I thought what the hell- I make $7/ hour, I can afford a CD for $5 plus $20 in shipping. So, I bought it. It arrived.
And it was a record. Nice.
I called around Cincinnati and found a place that could put a record onto a CD. The record had like 5 versions of the song and when I went to pick up my record and CD, the guy that made me the copy said, "By the 5th version I wanted to shoot myself from listening to that crap."
Thanks, buddy. Thanks.

2 comments:

Susan Slawter said...

AWW EM I CAN'T WAIT EITHER!!! TONIGHT DOLCE, FRIDAY DANCING, SATURDAY DANCING,SUNDAY CAKE AND CHAMPAGNE WITH THE GAYS!!!!! GO GO GO SHAWTY IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY!!!!

Krissie said...

Wow. How random that I am randomly reading random posts from your history and find a mention of...ME! I hadn't thought of that song in forever. I did a HUGE purge of cds when I got married (5 years ago next month!) and I guess that one was one of the ones that didn't make the cut...

I really hope that you get an email with comments or this will be lost and you will never know that I found me.

Am I talking?